What’s new in the Kongregate Update:
- Kongregate Leaderboards/Statistics integration
- Shop interface improvements
- Slight tweaks to the Global Leaderboard interface
- Can now have 2 control customisations at the same time
- Enemies and other entities are now exported as bitmaps which will hopefully improve performance a little bit
- Fixed glitch when skipping splash screens
I’ll probably do the same for Alien Hominid Xtreme and release that in a couple of weeks. Rupert’s Zombie Diary was going to be the first to be added to Kongregate but there were problems with the project file. So instead we are working on Rupert’s Zombie Diary: Special Edition. This will use the new art assets (plus more) that we were using for the sequel that kind of got put on hiatus. It will remade using the same engine as our game “Hell Games” and apart from the new look it will also feature more weapons, mini-bosses, flying heads/arms/guts and more.
I did a bit of work on my game demake (for that little Facepunch programming competition) after not doing anything on it for awhile. As you can see it now got a bit of a low-bit graphics thing going on. Was too lazy to try and make any sprites.
You can play what I have so far here: http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/409aa1201e419c0b470a500babe3281f
To go along with the pixelated ‘filter’ I also made some sound effects with Bfxr (shooting, jumping, landing, grapple hook and projectile collision sound effects). To make fighting the AI more enjoyable I simply made them move to your last known location and to mix it up a bit I made them, you and projectiles to be random colours. I improved the entity collision a bit too, allowing entities to land and move on top of others (still a bit buggy for the AI though as you can tell by the end of the video).
I was originally going to make a Just Cause demake but I’m contemplating about doing something else. Maybe a 2D Mount & Blade, can just take what I have now, remove the guns, add horses, a map view and some battle/siege levels.
I was thinking of making a Just Cause 2 demake for a little game demake competition that’s going on in the programming forum I visit. But I first wanted to make sure I could make the grapple hook and parachute work and fun in a 2D environment. So I made and added them to the current flash game I’ve been working on. They are still a bit buggy and need some tweaking to get it to play more like it does in Just Cause 2 but it doesn’t seem that bad so far.
I also had to add support to my Camera class to allow for zooming because it would be hard to use the grapple hook if you couldn’t see that much (in the video the ‘camera’ is a 0.5 scale). I improved my raycasting function as well so it returns the collision point instead of just a boolean, mainly so the grappling hook would hook into the sides of a tile rather than a random place inside it. This also means all projectile weapons have better level collision now, which is nice.
Firefight Update 1
- New Save System, you can now have a save for both game modes.
- Fixed a problem where the game couldn’t tell it was on Newgrounds (why the Medals didn’t work)
- Small changes to the Leaderboard page
- Made the Leaderboard’s At column display “uploads.ungrounded.net” as “www.newgrounds.com”
- Removed the two (rarely said) enemy voice clips
- Fixed landmines not removing on level reset
Update is now live on Newgrounds.